Mississagi River Fire Tower - June, 2012
Along Highway 129 - Between Thessalon and Aubrey Falls
(Constructed in the 1920's for the Carpenter Hixon Era)
Obviously a spectacular view from the top of this tower in its peak years. It was situated along the Mississagi River overlooking the beautiful valley below. The purpose of this tower was to provide critical forest fire lookout in this highly valuable area of giant white pine, during the boom years of Carpenter-Hixon and McFadden Lumbering companies. Carpenter-Hixon and McFadden had several key camps along the Mississagi. (Camp 4, Camp 6, Camp 17).
There was also a Lands and Forest Headquarters at the base of the mountain and a hiking trail to the tower hill. Unfortunately no longer standing, it must have been one of the most panoramic views of the Mississagi River valley. The tower cement base pads are memories and located on the peak. There are also some remnants and a clearing of where the Lands and Forest Headquarters was located along Highway 129 (formerly called the Mississagi Road). This elusive Mississagi River Fire Lookout Tower is no longer marked on modern day topographic maps, however, it was labeled on some up until the 1950 and 60s'. Not an easy find as the summit has now been extensively logged with several logging road branches. Float planes used to land on a wide spot (pool) on the Mississagi River and bring supplies to the Forest Ranger Headquarters and tower (MacTavish 2012)
Click on a picture for better viewing